Thursday, January 20, 2011

My first fused glass art piece!

This winter, I had a chance to take a workshop in fused glass art. Although it was a lot of fun and provides me a new, valued skill, it was also a challenge. Glass is a material I’ve never used except to look at or through. I’ve often gazed longingly at stained glass windows and multitudes of glass art, in awe at the beauty and wondering about the process. I finally had my chance to learn! And I found out that it takes patience, firm skill and a delicate hand.

For my first fused glass art project, I decided to try and recreate one of my paintings from the Moss Flower series. It's an image I know well and I felt I could better understand the entire process of fusing glass if I had something familiar to work from. The photos below show the piece in progress. As I write this, I am waiting for it to be kiln-fired (a 24-hour process in itself). Stay tuned for a photo of the finished piece.

Left to right: cut glass pieces are placed onto a clear sheet of glass; frit is added for the background and highlights; Greg (owner of Gotham Glassworks) places the glass in the kiln; the final piece in the kiln ready to be fired.
  
By the way, if you’re in the Schomberg area and are interested in taking a workshop in fused glass, visit www.gothamglassworks.com. Greg Locke, who also sells his works, will be happy to provide all the details.

No comments:

Post a Comment