Monday, June 6, 2011

"Powerful... Passionate... Excellent!" -- Some of the guest comments on opening night

"On Béing Metis" Art Exhibition at The Art Space

 
View of a portion of the exhibition inside The Art Space.

"On Being Métis" opened at The Art Space on June 3, 2011 to a small but engaged crowd. I am thrilled to show these works in my first official gallery show in Huntsville. Although I'm virtually unknown here, Muskoka has provided me with so much opportunity and inspiration in the last couple of years that it feels like the best place to share my soul with those who come to see the exhibition.

About the exhibition: I was in my twenties before it was confirmed that my family had First Nations ancestry. This started a long search for information about our heritage that led me to seek more indepth knowledge into the social history of Canada. The works exhibited were inspired by the stories, both anecdotal and historical, and the art -- specifically the art of the Métis -- that I learned of in recent years. My goal with the exhibition is to share something of what I've learned about Canadian culture, including my personal, in-depth feelings about my own place within my Canadian heritage and my belief that art is the key to really understanding any society.

Join me at The Art Space on June 18, 2011 from 2-3PM for my Artist Talk. The exhibition runs to July 3, 2011. Gallery hours are Thursday to Sunday, from 11AM to 4PM.

For more information, visit my web site at http://www.nathaliebertin.com/ or The Art Space.